Auto-Switch is coming this summer!
From 1 July 2019, under new OFCOM regulation all mobile providers will introduce Auto-Switch which is a new and simplified way for consumer and business customers to switch 1 to 24 MPNs between providers.
Auto-Switch allows customers to control the contact they have with their existing mobile provider when they are looking to move away from them, including avoiding having a phone conversation if they do not want one. Additionally customers will only need to contact their new provider once – to port their existing number or cancel their old service without keeping their number. After doing this, the port or cancellation occurs automatically and the new service starts.
So what does this mean?
• Firstly this regulation covers all business types regardless of size, who want to move 1 to 24 MPNs to another mobile provider. Anything over 25 MPNs is not covered under the new regulation and the bulk process remain unchanged.
• From 1 July 2019 customers will be able to request a switching code (PAC or STAC) using a free text service for single MPN accounts, or via their online Business Account, as well as by phone. The current provider is also not permitted to enter into any retention offer conversation until customers receive their PAC or STAC or Switching Information.
• Today we use PAC codes for porting which will remain unchanged, however OFCOM have introduced a new code called a STAC (Service Termination Authorisation Code), which customers can use if they want to move to another mobile provider but not take their mobile number with them.
• 30 day notice periods for PAC and STAC switching are banned from 1 July 2019, so customers will no longer have to pay for their old and new service at the same time.
• Mobile providers need to provide clear switching information to customers, which includes early termination fees, any major financial implications of switching on the customer agreements and other factual information that they consider customers should know about when they leave.
From 1 July 2019 these are the new options for our business customers
• New customers will be able to provide a PAC or STAC at point of sale. Therefore we will be updating our customer facing and online journeys to capture these details. All we need to do is to agree the required switch date with our customers.
• Existing customers can now choose to request a PAC or STAC or Switching Information by using a free text service or through their online Business Account, as well as by phone.
• Existing customers will then receive their PAC or STAC as requested along with switching information.
• When they’re ready to switch, the customer simply gives the code to their new mobile provider.
• Once they’ve got their new service their old service will be switched off within one working day. IMPORTANT - customers are entitled to compensation if the provider fails at this stage.